German Style Meatloaf
In this recipe I use one of the most common Pizza-Fleischkäse ingredients which are bell pepper and cheese cubes. In the south of Germany it is a very popular office lunch or snack while shopping, where it is eaten as kind of a Bavarian burger in a bun.
- 2 pounds ground beef lean
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 pound ice cubes
- 10 oz. cheddar
- 3 tbsp dried marjoram
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- Add ground beef and ground pork to a bowl and chill in the freezer.
- Crush the ice cubes and place in the freezer.
- Peel the onion, cut into eight pieces and add to the food processor.
- Cut the bacon into inch size pieces and add to the food processor.
- Add the garlic paste to the food processor and mince everything finely.
- Transfer to a large bowl and chill in the freezer.
- Dice cheese and bell peppers in 1/2-inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Remove the ice and the ground meat from the freezer.
- 1Add about 3 cups of ground meat, a cup of ice, salt, pepper, and marjoram to the fod processor and mince finely.
- Transfer the meat paste to the bowl with the ground bacon mix and repeat until all meat is finely minced.
- Mix well by hand, then add bell peppers and cheese and mix again.
- Transfer the meat paste to loaf pans. Press meat paste down and tap the loaf pans a couple of times.
- Bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Leave the meatloaves in the pan for about 10 min. to cool down.
- Pour out excess water and lift meatloaf on a cutting board.
- Cut into finger thick slices and enjoy on a roll with some ketchup or mustard or serve with roasted potatoes and a side salad.
- If you don´t use the Fleischkäse immediately you can re-heat it in the microwave or in a frying pan with some oil or butter.