Bavarian Creamy Mushrooms
Learn how to make a very popular Bavarian dish named Rahmschwammerl which is a creamy mushroom dish. This German pan dish gets its flavorful taste from the mixture of fresh and dried wild mushrooms. But if you don´t have dried mushrooms on hand you can leave this part out of the recipe.
Creamy Jager Gravy with Bacon
You can find German Jagerschnitzel served with a creamy or a dark mushroom gravy. This recipe features a creamy sauce variation which incorporates bacon.
- 32 oz. cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 oz. dried wild mushroom mix
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 oz. bacon finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chives
- Start with soaking the dried wild mushrooms according to the package instructions and then puree them finely.
- Prepare all your ingredients. Slice the bacon, the onions, the cremini mushrooms and the chives finely.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and the bacon and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir well and simmer on low heat.
- In the meantime, add the vegetable stock and the heavy whipping cream to the pureed mushrooms and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the pan and stir in the sour cream.
- Simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the chives.
- Serve with bread dumplings or a fresh homemade roll.