Learn how to make a very popular Bavarian dish named Rahmschwammerl which is a creamy mushroom dish. This German pan dish gets its flavorful taste from the mixture of fresh and dried wild mushrooms. But if you don´t have dried mushrooms on hand you can leave this part out of the recipe.
How is this dish called in German?
The dish is called "Rahmschwammerl" German Bavarian dialect. Rahmschwammerl are creamy mushrooms served over bread dumplings.
How to pronounce "Rahmschwammerl"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Rahmschwammerl".
How to make German Creamy Mushroom Gravy Video Tutorial
Authentic German Creamy Jager Gravy Recipe
Creamy Jager Gravy with Bacon
- 32 oz. cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 oz. dried wild mushroom mix
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 oz. bacon finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chives
- Start with soaking the dried wild mushrooms according to the package instructions and then puree them finely.
- Prepare all your ingredients. Slice the bacon, the onions, the cremini mushrooms and the chives finely.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and the bacon and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir well and simmer on low heat.
- In the meantime, add the vegetable stock and the heavy whipping cream to the pureed mushrooms and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the pan and stir in the sour cream.
- Simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the chives.
- Serve with bread dumplings or a fresh homemade roll.