Bavarian sausage salad is one of the most favorite dishes in German beer gardens and is a staple at the famous Oktoberfest in Munich.
How is this Salad called in German?
Sausage salad is called “Wurstsalat”
How to pronounce “Wurstsalat”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Wurstsalat” in German.
Authentic Bavarian Sausage Salad Recipe
- 1 pound smoked sausage
- 12 oz. of your favorite pickle chips in, i.e. bread & butter chips pickles
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced rings
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- In a large bowl add mustard, pickle juice, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Slice the onion in thin rings.
- Remove the sausage casings and slice into thin slices.
- Drain pickles and place them, the sausage slices, and onion rings into the vinaigrette.
- Add oil and toss to combine.
- Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Serve with a Kaiser roll, pretzel or a slice of fresh farmer´s bread!