Beef rolls-ups filled with a mixture of mustard, pickles, bacon and onions.
This dish originally comes from Upper Silesian cuisine and spread throughout Germany and Poland as well. We know the classic roulade as always having beef (if you ignore the cabbage roulade), but today we believe that the recipe originally used pork and the beef roulade as we know it only took over from pork in the 20th century.
It is, put simply, thin slices or meat, fish or cabbage leaves rolled together. After that it is braised in a sauce or a meat juice.
What Is The German Name For Beef Rouladen?
In Germany we call these delicious beef rolls either Rinderrouladen or short just Rouladen.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Rouladen" in German.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Rinderrouladen" in German.
How to make German Beef Rouladen Video Tutorial
Authentic German Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 8 slices beef ¼ inch thick
- 1 jar bread and butter pickles
- 16 slices bacon
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 stalk of leak
- 2 carrots
- 1 piece of celery root
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. lard or Butterschmalz alternatively 1 tsp. butter plus 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Cut pickles and onions into small cubes or slices.
- Peel and cut the vegetables into small pieces.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry.
- Brush with mustard.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread onion and pickle pieces on top.
- Place two slices of bacon on top of each beef slice.
- Roll up each meat piece and secure with a tooth pick.
- Melt lard or Butterschmalz and brown the Rouladen on all sides.
- Remove the Rouladen and set aside.
- Roast vegetables and tomato paste for a couple of minutes.
- Add the shot of pickle juice and beef stock, stir well and simmer covered for about 10 min.
- Add Rouladen back into the pot and simmer covered on medium heat for about 60 minutes.
- Remove the Rouladen and press vegetables through a strainer. Keep the liquid.
- Add butter to the pot and melt, add flour and brown for a couple of minutes.
- Deglaze with the Rouladen liquid and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the Rouladen back into the pot and simmer for another 20 min.
- Serve with a vegetable side dish and bread dumplings or Spätzle.
Try the classic rouladen recipe with pork meat for a change. Serve with red cabbage or another vegetable side dish and spaetzle or bread dumplings.