Hello and welcome to my German cabbage and beef soup recipe. This cabbage soup is an all-time favorite in our family and is especially dear to my heart as it was one my beloved father´s favorite dishes.
How is this Cabbage Soup/Stew called in German?
The dish is called "Weisskrauteintop" or "Krautsuppe".
How to pronounce "Weisskrauteintopf"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Weisskrauteintopf" in German.
How to make German Cabbage and Beef Soup Video Tutorial
Authentic German Cabbage Soup Recipe
German Cabbage and Beef Soup
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. whole allspice berries
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 4 lbs. chuck roast
- 1 white cabbage medium
- 2 pounds baby carrots
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 tsp. whole caraway seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove peel from the onion and cube into quarters.
- Rinse the meat and pat try.
- Add the water, allspice, bay leaves and the chuck roast to a large pot and bring to a light simmer.
- Bring the water to a light simmer and then lower the heat to medium. Cover it
with a lid and cook the meat until it is soft and almost falling apart.
- Remove meat from the pot and set aside to cool. Reserve the liquid in the pot and bring again to a simmer.
- In the meantime, remove the outer and damaged leaves of the cabbage. Cut
out the core and slice cabbage first into slices and then into 2-inch
- Peel and cube the potatoes. Add them to the pot where you cooked the meat.Cut the baby carrots smaller pieces and place them also into the pot with the simmering broth.
- Simmer for about 15 min. or until the potatoes and the carrots are almost done.In the meantime, cut the meat and the cabbage into bite-sized pieces.
- Taste the broth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cabbage pieces and the caraway seeds to the pot and cook for about 5-10 min.
- Add the meat and let sit for about 10 min.
small it is most of the times a very aged head of cabbage that got stored
for several weeks in the supermarket and the rotten leaves got removed
Make sure to buy white cabbage that is fresh and crispy.
This soup tastes best on the second day like a lot of soups. Make a large batch and freeze it into portions.