Candied apples are called “Liebesapfel” in German. Literally translated this means “love apple”.
Traditionally you buy your loved one a candied apple and eat it together… And you can believe, this is how a lot of love stories started.
How is Candy Apples called in German?
A candy apple is either called “Kandierter Apfel” or “Liebesapfel” which literally translated means “love apple.
How to pronounce “Liebesapfel”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Liebesapfel” in German.
Homemade Candy Apples Recipe
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 6 skewers or popsicle sticks
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- Make sure you wash the apples very well to make sure there is no wax is left.
- Remove stems and pat the apples dry.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray well with spray oil.
- Place skewers into apples, where the stem used to be.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, food coloring and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook to about 290 - 310 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat, quickly dip apples twice and place on cooking sheet.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes, then wrap them in cellophane bags or plastic wrap.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Candied apples make a wonderful gift if you wrap them in cellophane paper and add a personal gift tag.