German bakery style chocolate buns are easy and fast to make with this recipes. They are a great snack if you are craving a sweet little something without eating a lot of sugar as German pastry contains way less sugar than pastries that you can buy in US supermarkets.
How are Chocolate Rolls called in German?
Chocolate buns are called "Schokoladenbrötchen" in German. "Schokolade" is the German word for chocolate and the "Brötchen" means roll or bun.
How to pronounce "Schokolade" in German?
The Yeast Dough for this recipe is buttery and soft. It is important to knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Don´t feel tempted to add more flour as the dough will be a bit softer than you perhaps are used to.
I love to use semi-sweet chocolate drops for my chocolate buns. The buns are not overly sweet and the semi-sweet chocolate addition gives them in my opinion the perfect sweetness. If you would like to cut more sugar out use dark chocolate or sugar-free chocolate.
Homemade Chocolate Buns Recipe
German Chocolate Buns - Schokoladenbrötchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp. soft butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate drops
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix yeast and about 1 tsp. of sugar. Add about half of a cup of the warm milk and mix well.
- Form a well into the flour and add yeast mixture. Stir the yeast gently while incorporating some of the flour.
- Cover the bowl and allow to sit for about 15 min.
- Cover the yeast with some flour and add eggs, egg yolks, soft butter, salt and the warm milk.
- Knead with the kneading hook attachment of your mixer for about 10 min. or by hand for about 15-20 min. until you will have a smooth, elastic but not sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise in a warm space for about 45 min. to 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Add the chocolate drops in portions to distribute evenly while kneading the dough gently.
- Divide the dough into 8 equally sized pieces.
- Shape each piece to a smooth ball.
- Place the pastry pieces on a with parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Cover and allow to raise for about 20-30 min.
- Whisk the egg with water until smooth. Brush the buns gently with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 min. in a to 350°F preheated oven.