This soft and moist sweet German braided Easter bread is an indulgent treat for a cozy Easter Sunday breakfast. Enjoy it with butter and jam.
How is Braided Bread called in German?
The sweet braided bread is called "Hefezopf".
How to pronounce "Hefezopf"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Hefezopf" in German.
How to make Sweet German Braided Easter Bread Video Tutorial
Authentic Sweet German Easter Bread Recipe
German Easter Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- ⅔ cup luke warm milk
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp. milk plus ½ tsp. sugar
- ⅓ cup apricot jam
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Add the raisins into a small bowl and cover with hot water.
- Measure the sour cream and set out to reach room temperature.
- Add flour to a large bowl and form a well in the middle.
- Add yeast and about 2 tsp. sugar to the well.
- Warm the milk to luke warm and pour it into the well.
- Stir gently while incorporating some flour.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Add the oil, the rest of the sugar, the sour cream, and the lemon extract to the bowl and knead for about 5 min.
- Strain the raisins.
- Then add the salt and the raisins and knead for another 5 min.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 60 minutes.
- Add the dough to a floured working space and form to an oblong loaf. Cut lengthwise into 3 pieces and braid.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Mix the milk with the sugar and brush onto the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and bake for about 20-25 minutes
- In the meantime, warm up the jam and spread onto the warm loaf.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
patricia gimay says
Hi,what flour did you use? All purpose flour ? Type 45? Type 55. Thanking you;
Hi Patricia, all-purpose flour works fine. Happy Easter 🙂
Thank you it is a very nice recipe, exactly what I was looking for.
Angela Schofield says
Thank you, Laurent, I am glad you found the recipe.