Sweet German Braided Easter Bread
This soft and moist sweet German braided Easter bread is an indulgent treat for a cozy Easter Sunday breakfast. Enjoy it with butter and jam.
German Easter Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- 2/3 cup luke warm milk
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp. milk plus 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/3 cup apricot jam
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Add the raisins into a small bowl and cover with hot water.
- Measure the sour cream and set out to reach room temperature.
- Add flour to a large bowl and form a well in the middle.
- Add yeast and about 2 tsp. sugar to the well.
- Warm the milk to luke warm and pour it into the well.
- Stir gently while incorporating some flour.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Add the oil, the rest of the sugar, the sour cream, and the lemon extract to the bowl and knead for about 5 min.
- Strain the raisins.
- Then add the salt and the raisins and knead for another 5 min.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 60 minutes.
- Add the dough to a floured working space and form to an oblong loaf. Cut lengthwise into 3 pieces and braid.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Mix the milk with the sugar and brush onto the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and bake for about 20-25 minutes
- In the meantime, warm up the jam and spread onto the warm loaf.
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds.