German Breakfast Pastry
If you want to pamper your sweetheart on a Sunday morning with a cozy and delicious breakfast, just bake these German breakfast pastry chocolate croissants.
This delightful German pastry also make a great fit for afternoon coffee or any time from morning to afternoon. These sweet biscuits with chocolate fillings are always a great choice and easy to make.
How is this German Chocolate Pastry called in German?
The pastry is called “Schokoladenhörnchen” or short “Schokohörnchen”.
How to pronounce “Schokoladenhörnchen” in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Schokoladenhörnchen” in German.
How to make German Chocolate Pastry Video Tutorial
Authentic German Chocolate Crescents Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. butter, soft
- 1 cup milk, lukewarm
- 1 egg
- 1 bar of your favorite chocolate
- To a large bowl, add flour, yeast, salt, and sugar and mix well.
- Cut the soft butter into pieces.
- Add the butter, the egg and the lukewarm milk to the bowl.
- Knead to a smooth dough.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Fill a larger bowl with warm water and place the bowl with the yeast dough into the water.
- Let rise for about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cover a baking sheet with baking paper and cut the chocolate bar into 12 equal sized pieces.
- Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured work surface for a couple of minutes.
- Roll the dough out to a round shape of about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal triangles.
- Place one piece of chocolate on each triangle and roll up to a crescent.
- Place the crescents on the baking sheet.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and mix well, then brush the crescents with the egg wash.
- Allow to rise for 15 minutes while heating the oven to 400F.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely and dust with powdered sugar.
The crescents will keep fresh for about 2-3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g
Dust with powdered sugar. This will give you a wonderful presentation of these delightful German pastries.