German Butterscotch Candy Cookies
These cookies are made with the famous “Werther`s Original” caramel candy. They are a special treat for Christmas and all year long.
If you love the combination of crunchy caramel and a soft, tender butter cookie, you need to give this recipe a try.
German Caramel Candy Cookies
- 2 sticks 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz. caramel hard candy i.e. Werthers
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- Cut butter into 1/4-inch cubes.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, eggs, and butter into a large bowl.
- Crush butterscotch candy in a blender, or add to a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Set 1/4 cup of the crushed candy aside and add the rest to the bowl.
- Knead all ingredients to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into two logs of 1-inch diameter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut the logs into 1/4-inch slices and place them on the baking sheets.
- Combine 4 tbsp. of sugar with the remaining crushed candy.
- Brush the cookies with egg white and sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 12-14 min. and let cool on baking sheets.