If you love the combination of crunchy caramel and a soft, tender butter cookie, you need to give this recipe a try.
These cookies are made with the famous “Werther`s Original” caramel candy. They are a special treat for Christmas and all year long.
How is Caramel called in German?
Caramel is called "Karamell".
How to pronounce "Karamell"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Karamell" in German.
How to make German Caramel Candy Cookies Video Tutorial
Authentic German Caramel Candy Cookie Recipe
German Caramel Candy Cookies
- 2 sticks 1 cup butter
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz. caramel hard candy i.e. Werthers
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- Cut butter into ¼-inch cubes.
- Add flour, sugar, salt, eggs, and butter into a large bowl.
- Crush butterscotch candy in a blender, or add to a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Set ¼ cup of the crushed candy aside and add the rest to the bowl.
- Knead all ingredients to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into two logs of 1-inch diameter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut the logs into ¼-inch slices and place them on the baking sheets.
- Combine 4 tbsp. of sugar with the remaining crushed candy.
- Brush the cookies with egg white and sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- Bake for about 12-14 min. and let cool on baking sheets.