This traditional German recipe for a Easter lamb is very easy to make. The cake is moist and tender and is a favorite at German Easter celebrations.
The tradition of baking an Easter lamb cakes goes way back in German history and many other countries joined this beautiful baking tradition. In Christian religions the lamb stands for both sacrifice and new life.
How is a Easter Lamb Cake called in German?
Lamb cakes are called "Lammkuchen".
How to pronounce "Osterlamm"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Osterlamm" in German.
Authentic German Easter Lamm Cake Recipe
German Easter Lamb Cake
- 17 tbsp. butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. lemon zest or ½ tsp. lemon extract
- 5 tbsp. milk
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- Bread crumbs to sprinkle baking pans
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle
- Place soft butter into a large bowl and whip until creamy and light.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and mix well.
- While beating add one egg at a time.
- Mix in lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl mix flour and baking powder.
- Alternating sieve flour mix and milk to the wet ingredients while whisking.
- Grease cake pans and evenly sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Fill each of the pans ⅔ with batter.
- Bake in a 400 F preheated oven for 40 min.
- Carefully remove the cake from the cake pan and allow to completely cool on cooling rack.
- Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
In case you would like to make this recipe but don´t have a lamb baking pan you can use mini gugelhupf pans or a bundt cake pan.