Learn how to make a German dish named “Linsen und Spätzle”. This lentil recipe is one of the most popular dishes in the south of Germany, especially in Baden-Württemberg where the famous Mercedes Benz and Porsche cars originate.
How is Lentil Stew called in German?
Lentil stew is called "Linseneintopf".
How to pronounce "Linseneintopf"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Linseneintopf" in German.
How to make German Lentil Soup Video Tutorial
Authentic German Lentil Stew with Spaetzle Recipe
German Lentil Stew
- 10 oz. pork belly
- 4 oz. bacon
- 8 franks
- 28 oz. green lentils
- 1 large onion
- 1 stalk of leek
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large potato i.e. Russet
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 20 oz. homemade spaetzle
- Peel and cube onion.
- Clean and slice leek into fine slices. Rinse the slices and drain.
- Peel and cube carrots.
- Cut bacon finely.
- Cut pork belly into 1-inch pieces.
- Add butter to a pot on medium high.
- Add onions, pork belly and bacon and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse lentils, sort out bad ones and add to the pot. No soaking is necessary.
- Add broth and spices, bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- In the meantime, shred the potato.
- Add the shredded potato and the vegetables to the pot.
- Let simmer for about 20 - 30 more min.
- Add the vinegar and the franks.
- Allow to sit for 10 min. on minimum heat.