The secret ingredient to this delicious German soup is celery root.
Celery root is an important ingredient in a lot of German soups. It is not a nice-looking root, but the taste is amazing and gives a wonderful flavor to your soup.
How is pumpkin soup called in German?
Pumpkin Soup is called "Kürbissuppe".
How to pronounce "Kürbissuppe"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Kürbissuppe" in German.
How to make German Pumpkin Soup from Scratch Video Tutorial
Authentic German Pumpkin Soup Recipe
German Pumpkin Soup
- 1 medium sized Ambercup pumkin alternatively your favorite pumpkin
- 1 medium sized Carnival squash alternatively your favorite pumpkin
- 2 onions
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1 stalk of leek
- ½ head cellery root
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste or 4 cloves of garlic finely minced
- salt pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 200 ml heavy cream
- pumpkin seed oil
- roasted pumpkin seeds
- Peel celery root, carrots and onions cut roughly.
- Cut the leek and rinse under cold water.
- Depending on your preferences wash or peel the pumpkins, remove the core and cube roughly.
- In a large pot melt butter and vegetable on medium-high heat.
- Add the pre-cut vegetable and garlic paste and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and pumpkin cubes.
- Stir well and cover with water.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on medium heat for about 45 – 60 min.
- Puree the soup with a hand blender to desired consistency. Add water if needed.
- Add the nutmeg and stir well. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in heavy cream and let simmer on low heat for about 15 min.
- Sprinkle with a tsp. of heavy cream, pumpkin seed oil and roasted pumpkin seeds right before serving.
Sprinkle with a tsp. of heavy cream, pumpkin seed oil and roasted pumpkin seeds right before serving.