Magenbrot is a very popular snack on German fairgrounds and Christmas markets. These sweet glazed cookies share many similarities with gingerbread and are moist and very tasty. Let me show you how easily you can make this German specialty at home.
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Knead all ingredients to a smooth dough.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll into logs.
- Place 3 logs on each baking sheet.
- Bake 10 - 15 min.
- For the glaze mix powdered sugar and the lemon juice.
- Brush the glaze on the logs immediately after taking them out of the oven.
- Cut logs diagonally into 1-inch pieces and let them cool on the baking sheets.