Klassisches Rotkraut ohne Speck
Traditional German Red Cabbage Without Bacon
Braised red cabbage is the perfect side to the famous Rouladen, Sauerbraten or other German meat dishes.
Servings: 6 - 8 Portions
- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 2 apples or 1 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. goose lard alternatively Butterschmalz or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ chicken or vegetable broth alternatively apple juice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups red wine alternatively grape juice
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges and remove core.
- Shred the wedges finely.
- Peel and core apples and shred finely.
- Cube the onion finely.
- Heat the lard over medium high, add the onions and sugar and caramelize.
- Add the shredded cabbage and apples and braise for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vinegar and stir well.
- Add the bay leaves, cloves the broth.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and flour.
- Stir well and add red wine.
- Simmer until the cabbage is soft.