Klassisches Rotkraut ohne Speck
Traditional German Red Cabbage Without Bacon
Braised red cabbage is the perfect side to the famous Rouladen, Sauerbraten or other German meat dishes.
German Red Cabbage without Bacon
- 1 medium head red cabbage
- 2 apples or 1 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. goose lard alternatively Butterschmalz or avocado oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ chicken or vegetable broth alternatively apple juice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups red wine alternatively grape juice
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges and remove core.
- Shred the wedges finely.
- Peel and core apples and shred finely.
- Cube the onion finely.
- Heat the lard over medium high, add the onions and sugar and caramelize.
- Add the shredded cabbage and apples and braise for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vinegar and stir well.
- Add the bay leaves, cloves the broth.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and flour.
- Stir well and add red wine.
- Simmer until the cabbage is soft.