This recipe features a very special, super-fast and extremely delicious Lebkuchen (German gingerbread) recipe for you. I promise, you will fall in love with this authentic German Lebkuchen recipe!
Did you know that Lebkuchen are dating back to the 14th century? And they have stood the test of time as one of Germany’s most popular and beloved of all Christmas treats!
You can have your own homemade gluehwein and lebkuchen ready in less than 1 hour. And that includes the baking time!
How is Gingerbread called in German?
Gingerbread is called “Lebkuchen”.
How to pronounce “Lebkuchen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Lebkuchen” in German.
How to make German Gingerbread Sheet Cake Video Tutorial
Authentic German Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 12 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Eier
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. gingerbread spice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp. cacao powder
- ¼ tsp. Kosher salt or 1 pinch of fine salt
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts, i.e. almonds, hazelnuts or walnuts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 oz. candied orange or lemon peel or dried fruit, i.e. cherries or apricots
- Melt butter and honey over medium low heat and set aside to cool down.
- In the meantime, whisk eggs with salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend all dry ingredients including ground nuts in a large bowl.
- Add the milk to the egg mixture and blend well.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour in honey-butter and mix well.
- Chop the dried fruit and fold into the dough.
- Pour the dough on a with parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 min. in a 350°F pre-heated oven.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
- Brush with your favorite sugar glaze or coat with chocolate icing.
- Cute into bite-sized squares or bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
How to Serve with Gingerbread Cake?
Try this Lebkuchen recipe and enjoy it with a mug of our hot orange gluehwein recipe after a busy afternoon of scouting the shops for Christmas gifts.