Jam and cookies are so delicious and always a wonderful treat with a cup of hot chocolate or Glühwein (German mulled wine).
Linzer cookies are a must for me on every German cookie plate.
How are linzer cookies called in German?
Linzer cookies are called "Spitzbuben".
How to pronounce "Spitzbuben"?
Listen to this audio file to learn how to say "Spitzbuben" in German.
Authentic German Linzer Cookies - Spitzbuben Recipe
Linzer Style Cookies - Spitzbuben
- 14 tbsp. butter
- 2 ⅛ cups flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp. zest of an organic lemon
- 1 egg
- 1 small jar of red current jelly
- powdered sugar to taste
- Cut butter into ½-inch cubes.
- To a large bowl add flour, almonds, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla sugar, lemon zest, egg, and butter cubes.
- Knead to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into a square, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ⅛-inch in thickness.
- Cut out your favorite cookie shapes.
- On half of the cookies, use your smallest cookie cutter or the end of a round piping tip to make a cutout in the center of each cookie.
- Place the cookies on the baking sheets and bake for about 10 min. or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Take a cookie without the cutout brush it with jelly and place a teaspoon of jelly in the middle of the cookie.
- Top with a cookie with the cutout.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Join the Conversation