Learn how to make a traditional German dish that originated in capital of Germany named Berlin. The delicious sweetness that comes from the sautéed apples and onions gives this fried liver dish a very special touch.
How is liver called in German?
Liver is called "Leber".
How to pronounce "Leber"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Leber" in German.
How to make "Berliner Leber" - German Liver Berlin Style Video Tutorial
Authentic German Liver Berlin Style Recipe
Liver Berlin Style
- 4-6 slices beef or calf liver
- 2 apples
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. Butterschmalz or butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- Peel, core the apples and cut them into thin slices.
- Add to a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Peel and cut the onions into halves, then slice them finely.
- Melt butter in a pan and fry the apples for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- In the same pan fry the onion slices and fry until soft and brown.
- In the meantime, rinse the liver and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the flour to a shallow plate and coat all liver slices on both sides.
- Heat Butterschmalz or butter in a large pan on medium high and fry liver on both sides.
- Sprinkle with marjoram and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with apple and onion slices and mashed potatoes with brown butter or gravy.