Mulled beer, also known as Glühbier, is the perfect winter drink for beer lovers. This comforting, warming concoction is made by heating beer with spices and sweetening it with honey or sugar. It's the ideal beverage to enjoy during the chilly winter months, providing a comforting and flavorful alternative to traditional hot drinks.
Its unique flavor and aroma come from the spices used, such as cinnamon, anise, and cloves. Enjoy a mug of mulled beer with friends and family to truly experience winter's cozy atmosphere.
The first mulled beer, known as "Glühkriek" originated in Belgium. This mulled beer experience is traditionally made with a cherry beer that forms the base of the Flemish mulled beer.
What is Glühbier and how to pronounce it?
How to pronounce "Glühbier" in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Glühbier".
Ingredients & Variations
This list of ingredients and substitutes can help you create a delicious glühbier to your liking.
- Beer - Dark strong beer is best for mulled wine. Bockbier, a dark lager, is the best choice for glühbier.
- Juice - The recipe calls for cherry juice but you can experiment with other juices to find your favorite combination.
- Lemon Juice - Instead of lemon juice you can opt for orange juice. Freshly pressed makes a big different in this drink.
- Honey - The delightful taste of honey and the full aroma of dark beer are a match made in heaven. But if you don´t like honey, you can opt for brown sugar.
- Spices - Glühbier is infused with the festive flavors of cinnamon, cloves and star anise. These spices create a unique and delightful holiday taste that will make you crave it all season long.
- Vanilla Extract - A hint of vanilla elevates this beer experience to the next level. But if you don´t like vanilla extract you can just omit it.
- Rum - For a delicious twist on this recipe, try adding a ¼ to ½ cup of brown rum. The warm and inviting flavor of the rum will add an extra layer of complexity and richness to your winter drink.
Making mulled beer at home is super easy, and you don´t need a lot of kitchen tools.
- large pot with lid
- measuring cups
Enjoy Glühbier at its best when served immediately. Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
The winter season is here and it's the perfect time to start thinking about gift ideas for your friends and family. If you have someone in your life who loves beer, then why not make them a homemade batch of mulled beer? This German specialty is a tasty, spiced beer that's perfect for winter sipping.
Making your own special batch of "Glühbier" is a great way to show your beer-loving friends and family how much you care. And if you're feeling especially creative, you can even bottle it in an interesting bottle with a cute label. They'll love it!
Mulled Beer German Glühbier
- 6 ½ cups dark beer
- 2 ½ cups cherry juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large pot, combine all the ingredients and cook for about 20 minutes on medium-high heat. Make sure not to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Make a taste test. Add more honey or brown sugar if you like it sweeter, or more lemon juice if you like it tarter.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow it to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Remove spices before serving.