A gingerbread cookie with frosting decor.
Gingerbread hearts decorated with colorful frosting are a specialty of the Munich gingerbread bakers.
The first written records of gingerbread-like small honey cakes date back to 350 BC. The Romans believed in the magical powers of ingredients.
However, based on the discovery of grave goods from the ancient Egyptians it is assumed that they already knew about gingerbread.
Whether as a declaration of love, a cheeky teasing or simply as a souvenir, gingerbread hearts are a traditional must at the Oktoberfest.
Get some inspiration for your Oktoberfest heart sayings from our example list with translations.
How are Gingerbread Hearts called in German?
A Gingerbread heart is called "Lebkuchenherz".
How to pronounce "Lebkuchenherz"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Lebkuchenherz" in German.
Behind the Scenes Video – Oktoberfest Hearts
At the Munich Oktoberfest you can order personalized, delicious gingerbread hearts!
Authentic German Gingerbread Heart Recipe
Oktoberfest Gingerbread Hearts
- 14 tbsp. butter
- 25 oz. honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp. gingerbread spice
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Add butter, honey, sugar, cocoa powder. salt and gingerbread spice to a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour in a large bowl.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Add flour, baking powder and eggs to the bowl with the honey mixture and knead to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into a loaf and wrap with plastic cling.
- Let rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness.
- Use template to cut heart shaped cookies.
- To hang hearts with a ribbon, create two holes about ¾-inch below the rim of the cookie with a chop stick before you bake them.
- Place the hearts on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake 10-15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet.
- They will harden as they cool.
- Decorate the hearts with tinted royal icing of your choice.
Use the same dough recipe to make wonderful gingerbread cookies for Christmas.