Zwiebelkuchen is a German speciality from the South of Germany – Swabia.
The cake is usually served in autumn with a glass of the new wine that just barely started to ferment.
How is onion tarte called in German?
Onion cake or tarte is called "Zwiebelkuchen".
How to pronounce "Zwiebelkuchen"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Zwiebelkuchen" in German.
Authentic German Onion Cake - Zwiebelkuchen Recipe
Zwiebelkuchen - Swabian Onion Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3.5 tbsp. soft butter
- 1.5 tsp. yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ⅔ cup milk lukewarm
- 2.5 pounds onions
- 16 oz. bacon thick cut
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. coarse Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp. cold butter
- Add flour to a large bowl, form a well and add sugar, yeast, and half of the warm milk.
- Mix ingredients in the well gently, cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to sit for about 10-15 min.
- Add salt and rest of the milk. Knead for about 5 min. on low speed.
- Add soft butter and knead until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to proof for about 1 hour.
- Butter a springform pan (9-inch) and place the dough into the pan. Spread out evenly to cover the bottom and pull up on the sides to form a rim. Leave about ½ inch from the top.
- Let proof in pan for another 30 min. to 1 hour.
- In the meantime, finely cube the onions and bacon.
- Fry in butter until translucent over medium low heat. Make sure to stir constantly to avoid browning.
- Sprinkle the bacon-onion mix with flower, mix well and set aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs.
- Add heavy whipping cream and sour cream and mix well.
- Add the cooled down onion-bacon mixture to the bowl.
- Salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Pour mixture on top of the dough and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Cut the 2 tbsp. of cold butter into very thin slices and spread evenly on top of the cake.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 40-50 min at 400F.
- Serve hot or lukewarm.
How to Serve Swabian Onion Tarte - Zwiebelkuchen?
Onion cake tastes best lukewarm.
Serve with a side salad and a glass of Feiderweißer or white wine.