Reisfleisch is a German rice based dish which is originally made with Schmalzfleisch. In this recipe I use corned beef instead as Schmalzfleisch is difficult to get in the U.S. But the taste is equally great.
This German rice dish is a quick and hearty dish for cold winter days. It is easy to prepare and can make in advanced if you need a fast meal. The special twist to this dish are the pickled bell peppers.
How is this Rice Dish called in German?
The dish is called "Reisfleisch".
How to pronounce "Reisfleisch"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Reisfleisch" in German.
How to make German Reisfleisch Video Tutorial
Authentic German Rice Dish Recipe
German Rice Dish - Reisfleisch
- 2 12 oz. cans corned beef
- 2 16 oz. jars roasted bell peppers
- 2 large onions
- ½ tbsp. garlic paste or 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. instant chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. paprika powder
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. black coarse pepper
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 4 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups juice from the drained bell peppers
- 1 shot glass white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas
- Drain the bell peppers and set the juice aside.
- Cube the onions roughly.
- In a large pot heat oil and butter on medium heat.
- Fry the onions until translucent.
- Add garlic paste, spices and tomato paste.
- Mix well and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rice and fry again for a couple of minutes.
- Add the water and the bell pepper juice and stir well.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, cut bell pepper and corned beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Add bell pepper, corned beef and the shot of white wine vinegar to the pot.
- Stir well, taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let sit on lowest temperature for about 20-30 min.
- Add the frozen peas and let sit of a couple of minutes.
How to Serve Reisfleisch?
Serve this German rice dish as is or with a side salad.
Reisfleisch is usually made with parboiled rice, but you also can use other kinds of rice variations like brown rice or basmati rice.