The base of this appetizer spread is a homemade with crispy cracklings. This recipe also includes apple pieces for a fresher structure and a more elegant taste.
- 1.5 pounds uncured pork belly or fat trimmings from pork
- 1 small apple
- 1 onion
- Cut pork into small cubes.
- Melt over low medium heat in a large pan.
- Cook for about 1 hour, stir occasionally, until the solid pieces turn into brown cracklings.
- Peel onion, and dice very finely or grate.
- Peel and core apple, and dice very finely or grate.
- Add onion and apple pieces to pan and keep cooking for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture starts to turn golden brown.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and pour into ramekins or canning jars.
Sprinkle to taste with salt after spreading on a slice of homemade bread.