This delicious blueberry gluhwein variation is easy to make and will warm heart and soul on a cold winter day and tastes like the original one from the famous Nuremberg Christmas market.
How Is Blueberry Mulled Wine Called In German?
Blueberry gluhwein is called “Heidelbeerglühwein” or “Blaubeerglühwein” in German. Heidelbeeren and Blaubeeren are the German words for blueberries.
For this recipe you can use frozen or fresh blueberries. Make sure to thaw frozen blueberries before hand. Fresh blueberries should be washed well, remove little stems and bad berries.
Use the red wine of your choice but make sure that it is a good quality wine. Gluhwein is only as good as the wine you start with.
I use vanilla extract or paste for the wine as vanilla beans are quite expensive. But if you prefer you can use a whole vanilla bean too. Slice it into half before adding it to the pot.
I usually use whole spices in Glühwein as they are easily removed and the taste can be intensified by letting the spices seep longer. If you don´t have whole spices at home you could substitute for powdered spices. Start with 1/4 tsp. per spice and add more to your desired taste.
Authentic German Blueberry Gluhwein Recipe
- 2 cups blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 750 ml red wine
- 400 ml orange juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 pinch cardamom powder
- ¾ cups honey
- 1 orange
- Thaw frozen blueberries or wash fresh blueberries.
- Keep a few blueberries to garnish the gluhwein and mash the rest finely.
- Strain mashed blueberries through a sieve. Discard pulp and add juice to a large pot.
- Add red wine, orange juice, honey, vanilla extract, and spices also to the pot and heat on medium heat until honey is completely dissolved.
- Reduce heat to low and allow to sit covered for about 30 min.
- In the meantime, slice orange into slices as a garnish.
- Remove the spices and serve the gluhwein in heat-proof glasses or mugs.
- Garnish with a few blueberries and an orange slice.
If you prefer a stronger drink you could add a shot of rum to each mugg before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 311Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 48gProtein: 1g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.