A moist sponge cake with a crispy almond topping.
Butterkuchen is a coffee cake that has a beautiful moist texture and is topped with a mixture of buttery almond slices.
How is Butter Cake called in German?
Butter cake is called either “Butterkuchen”.
How to pronounce “Butterkuchen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Butterkuchen” in German.
How to make German Semolina Pudding Video Tutorial
Authentic German Butter Cake Recipe
For the dough:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
For the topping:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 9 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. (If you use a dark baking pan, reduce the heat to 375 F)
- Add all ingredient for the dough to a large bowl and mix until just combined. Make sure to don´t incorporated too much air. The air could cause a collapse during baking.
- Grease a baking pan or casserole dish. I use a clear casserole dish 9x13.
- Pour the dough into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Add butter and milk into a small sauce pan and melt on low heat.
- Add the sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and the almond slices to the sauce pan and combine well.
- Carefully top the dough with the mixture and spread out evenly.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 min. at 400 F. (If you use a dark baking pan, reduce the heat to 375 F)
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. (optional)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 111mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 9g
Try variations of this recipe with your favorite nuts or a streusel topping.