How is this cake called in German?
What is Butterkuchen?
A moist sponge cake with a crispy almond topping.
German Butter Cake
Butterkuchen is a coffee cake that has a beautiful moist texture and is topped with a mixture of buttery almond slices.
German Butter Cake - Butterkuchen
For the dough:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
For the topping:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 9 tbsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. (If you use a dark baking pan, reduce the heat to 375 F)
- Add all ingredient for the dough to a large bowl and mix until just combined. Make sure to don´t incorporated too much air. The air could cause a collapse during baking.
- Grease a baking pan or casserole dish. I use a clear casserole dish 9x13.
- Pour the dough into the pan and spread out evenly.
- Add butter and milk into a small sauce pan and melt on low heat.
- Add the sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and the almond slices to the sauce pan and combine well.
- Carefully top the dough with the mixture and spread out evenly.
- Bake for about 20 - 25 min. at 400 F. (If you use a dark baking pan, reduce the heat to 375 F)
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar. (optional)
Try variations of this recipe with your favorite nuts or a streusel topping.