What is it?
German cheese cake with fruit and crumble topping.
How is it called in German?
German cheese cake is made with quark not with cream cheese.
German Cheese Cake
This recipe video features a German cheese cake with fruit and streusel topping. This cake can be made with all kinds of fruit, for example pears, apples, peaches, apricots, berries or cherries.
This cake can be easily frozen. Thaw in the fridge and serve with heavy whipping cream.
In case you don´t find quark in your local super market you can easily make it yourself or use Greek yogurt as an alternative.
German Cheese Cake with Fruit & Crumble Topping
Dough & Crumble
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
Cheese Cream & Fruit
- 3 cups quark altern. greek yogurt
- 1 package vanilla pudding
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 45 oz. fruit i.e. peaches, apricots, cherries or pears (canned or frozen)
- Melt butter and set aside to cool down.
- Add flour, sugar, vanilla extract, pinch of salt, baking powder and egg to a large bowl and blend together.
- Slowly add the melted butter and mix until crumbles form. Set aside.
- Drain the fruit and grease baking pan.
- Place ¾ of the dough into the baking pan, spread evenly and press down.
- Add quark, vanilla pudding, sugar, the egg, and lemon juice to a large bowl and blend well.
- Pour filling onto the dough and spread evenly.
- Place the fruit on top.
- Then sprinkle the remaining dough as crumbles on top of the fruit.
- Bake for 40-50 min. in a 350 F pre-heated oven.
- Allow to cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Try this recipe with all kinds of fresh, frozen or canned fruit. It will be delicious.
If you use canned fruit make sure to drain it well.