Curry wurst is a German sausage with a flavorful curry-tomato sauce. The sauce has an amazing flavor and is great for other BBQ recipes too.
Enjoy one the most popular German street foods from the comfort of your own home. Prefect for lunch, dinner and as a snack.
How is Curry Sausage called in German?
Curry sausage is called "Currywurst".
How to pronounce "Currywurst"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Currywurst" in German.
The birth of the currywurst took place only a few years after the second World War. According to the Welt der Wunder, the snack stand owner Herta Heuwer reported that it was a rainy day when she mixed the first curry sauce on September 4th, 1949, clearly out of boredom. She wanted to spice up her post war meal, so she traded some German alcoholic beverages to the English for some curry powder,
The ingredients were reputed to be peppers, ground pepper, tomato puree, and different spices – she then poured the signature creation over a boiled and cut into pieces sausage.
The combination of chili and ketchup was patented as “Chillup” shortly thereafter.
How to make German Curry Wurst Video Tutorial
Currywurst comes with or without skin, and is cut up into small pieces then served covered int he curry sauce. Some places serve a sweeter version and some a tangier version of the sauce. More than 800 million of these tasty sausages are estimated sold annually.
What is currywurst sauce?
The base of Currywurst sauce that recipes have in common are tomato ketchup and curry powder. But there are many recipes with a lot of different ingredients who claim that these ingredients make the secret special flavor for the original curry sauce. Some of these ingredients that you might find in recipes are apple sauce, cola and honey.
Authentic German Curry Wurst Sauce Recipe
- 8 German brats (alternative stadium brats or jumbo hot dogs)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely cubed
- 16 oz. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. dark balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1-2 dash hot sauce optional
- 1 tsp. white vinegar optional
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. In the meantime, cube the onion finely.
- Add onion cubes to the saucepan and fry until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and roast with the onions for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat.
- Deglaze with about 2 tbsp. of water.
- Add ketchup, balsamic glaze and honey and cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce, chili powder and curry powder.
- Transfer to a tall blender bowl and blend with a hand blender to a smooth texture. Alternative you can blend it in a stand mixer or a single serve blender.
- Taste test and add about 1 tsp. to ½ tbsp. white vinegar if you prefer a tangy flavor. Add a dash or two of hot sauce if you like it spicy!
- The sauce should have a thick, honey like consistency. Add water if necessary or if you prefer a more liquid consistency.
- Keep the sauce warm, in the meantime grill the sausages.
- Ladle the warm sauce over the sausages and sprinkle with additional curry powder to taste.
How to Serve Curry Wurst?
Don´t forget to sprinkle some extra curry-chili powder on top of the sauce. This gives the authentic Currywurst it´s signature look. Currywurst is usually served with a side of french fries or a crispy bread roll.