Fried mushrooms with a delicious creamy garlic sauce is one of the staple foods that you can find at German Christmas markets or fairs. They are not only incredible yummy to eat but it is also an amazing experience to watch the cooks making this dish in huge cast iron pans.
The whole dish is very simple and quickly made. It doesn't need many ingredients and the sauce tastes even better the next day.
How Is This Dish Called In German?
The grilled mushroom dish is called "Gebratene Champignons" or "Pilzpfanne" in German.
How Is The German Word For Mushrooms?
Mushrooms are called Pilze in German. Der Pilz (m/singular) or die Pilze (f/plural)
How to pronounce Pilze in German?
Make sure to use fresh, firm champignons or cremini mushrooms for this dish. Smaller mushrooms are the best choice for this dish, but if you have only larger mushrooms you should cut them into halves or quarters.
Don´t let them soak in water to clean as this will make them soggy. It is best to wipe each mushroom with a wet kitchen towel.
Usually the dish is sprinkled with chopped parley, but it would be also great with chives or green onions.
The vendors of this dish use different spice blends. Most common is a Greek spice mix or herbs the Provence.
The garlic sauce is so incredibly delicious and goes totally well with anything fried and is great on baked potatoes. I just love it; it is so yummy! So even if you don't like mushrooms, you have to try this garlic sauce!
How To Make Fried Mushrooms - Video Tutorial
German Christmas Market & Fairground Mushroom Skillet Recipe
Christmas Market & Fairground Fried Mushroom Skillet
- 24 oz. champignons or cremini mushrooms fresh
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. coarse black pepper
- ½ tsp. paprika powder
- 2 tsp. Greek spice blend or herbs de Provence
- 1 bunch of parsley
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. ketchup
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh dill
- 1 tsp. fresh chives
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the stem. (You can use them for a stock or soup). Cut large mushroom heads into halves or quarters.
- Slice the onion.
- Wash and chop the parsley finely.
- Heat cast iron skillet on high and add the oil.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for about 2 min. before you stir them lightly, then fry for another 2 min.
- Add the onions and fry for another 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms have the desired doneness.
- Then add the butter and season with salt, pepper, paprika and the spices.
- Sprinkle with parsley right before serving.
- Add mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, sour cream, whipping cream, ketchup, and lemon juice to a medium sized bowl and mix well,
- Finely chop herbs and add to the bowl.
- Squeeze garlic through a garlic press directly into the dip.
- Mix well, salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until serving.
What to Serve With The Mushroom Dish?
Roasted bread and french fries are the perfect companion for this delicious mushroom skillet and a great to dip into the garlic sauce.