Learn how to make a very fast version of a German apple cake. The recipe for the dough incorporates sour cream which makes the cake wonderfully moist. If you love apple cake but don´t want to spend a lot of time baking, you should give this recipe a try.
How is Apple Cake called in German?
Apple cake is called either “Apfelkuchen”.
How to pronounce “Apfelkuchen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Apfelkuchen”.
How to make German Apple Cake with Sour Cream Video Tutorial
Authentic German Apple Cake with Sour Cream Recipe
- 10 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. very cold butter
- 6-8 small apples
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. soft butter
- Zest the lemon.
- Peel apples, core and cut into halves.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Grease a spring form pan with soft butter or butter spray.
- Sprinkle the spring form pan with brown sugar.
- Finely slice 2 tbsp. of butter and top the brown sugar with butter slices.
- Add the apples with the round end to the pan.
- Beat the butter, salt and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat for about 5 min.
- In the meantime, mix flour and baking powder in one bowl and sour cream, lemon zest and lemon juice in another bowl.
- Add flour and sour cream alternating to the bowl while beating.
- Place the batter on top of the apples and spread evenly.
- Bake for 50 -60 min. at 350 F in a preheated oven. Set a heatproof pan or aluminum foil below the cake in case some liquid _ leaks out of the cake pan.
- Let the cake cool for about 10 min. and flip on a cake plate.
- Allow to cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g