Learn how to make a German apple pastry named Apfelschnecken. This pastry reminds me of cinnamon rolls with apples and raisins. This is a very special video as I have a little helper who will show you that it’s really a snap to make this delicious German pastry.
How is this Apple Pastry called in German?
The delicious treat is called "Apfelschneckennudel" or short "Schneckennudel".
How to pronounce "Schneckennudel"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Schneckennudel" in German.
How to make German Cinnamon Apple Pastry Video Tutorial
Authentic "Schneckennudel" aka German Cinnamon Apple Pastry Recipe
German Apple Cinnamon Pastry
Lovely light, tender dough with juicy apple and raisin filling. The perfect treat for breakfast or snack with a cup of coffee.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ⅓ cup warm milk
- 7 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 pinch of salt
For the filling:
- ¾ cup raisins optional
- 1 cup hot water optional, used only to soak the raisins
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 apples
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
For the frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice or 1 tbsp. vanilla extract optional
- Add flour, yeast and sugar to a bowl and blend briefly.
- Add egg, warm milk, melted butter, and salt and knead to a smooth dough for about 5 min.
- Allow to rise for about 1 hour or the dough has doubled in size.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Add raisins to a small bowl and cover with hot water.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon.
- Peel and core the apples, cut them into ¼ inch cubes.
- Add lemon juice and drained raisins to the apple cubes.
- Roll out the dough to a rectangle and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and spread the apple mixture on top.
- Roll up from the long side of the rectangle.
- Cut into 1-inch slices and set on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for about 20 min.
- Mix the powdered sugar with lemon juice and water and brush on the warm pastry.
Yield: 1 pastryCalories: 391kcalCarbohydrates: 69gProtein: 7gFat: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 27gNet Carbohydrates: 65g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Join the Conversation