German Hunter Sauce. This sauce is perfect for Jagerschnitzel and Spaetzle and very easy to make from scratch.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Depending on the region in Germany you will order “Jägerschnitzel” in a restaurant you will get a dark, rich mushroom gravy or a creamy mushroom gravy with or without bacon.
All three of these gravy variations are most common served with a breaded schnitzel. But you will find Jägerschnitzel also served with an unbreaded schnitzel, called “Schnitzel Natur” or “Unpaniertes Schnitzel”.
How is Mushroom Gravy called in German?
Mushroom Gravy is called “Jägerrahmsoße” or “Jägersahnesoße” in German speaking countries.
How to pronounce “Jägerrahmspße”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Jägerrahmsoßte” in German.
How to make Creamy German Mushroom Gravy from Scratch Video Tutorial
Homemade Authentic German Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- 32 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 oz. dried wild mushroom mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 oz. bacon, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chives
- Start with soaking the dried wild mushrooms according to the package instructions and then puree them finely.
- Prepare all your ingredients. Slice the bacon, the onions, the cremini mushrooms and the chives finely.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and the bacon and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cremini mushrooms and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir well and simmer on low heat.
- In the meantime, add the vegetable stock and the heavy whipping cream to the pureed mushrooms and mix well.
- Add the mixture to the pan and stir in the sour cream.
- Simmer for about 5-6 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add the chives.
- Serve with bread dumplings or a fresh homemade roll.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Besides serving this gravy with schnitzels you can serve it over bread dumplings as another traditional dish called “Rahmschwammerl”. This makes also a wonderful vegetarian main dish if you leave out the bacon.