German Hunter Sauce. This sauce is perfect for Jagerschnitzel and Spaetzle and very easy to make from scratch.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Depending on the region in Germany you will order “Jägerschnitzel” in a restaurant you will get a dark, rich mushroom gravy or a creamy mushroom gravy with or without bacon.
All three of these gravy variations are most common served with a breaded schnitzel. But you will find Jägerschnitzel also served with an unbreaded schnitzel, called “Schnitzel Natur” or “Unpaniertes Schnitzel”.
How is Mushroom Gravy called in German?
Mushroom Gravy is called "Jägerrahmsoße" or "Jägersahnesoße" in German speaking countries.
How to pronounce "Jägerrahmspße"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Jägerrahmsoßte" in German.
How to make Creamy German Mushroom Gravy from Scratch Video Tutorial
Homemade Authentic German Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Besides serving this gravy with schnitzels you can serve it over bread dumplings as another traditional dish called “Rahmschwammerl”. This makes also a wonderful vegetarian main dish if you leave out the bacon.
German Hunter Sauce
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 3 oz. bacon finely cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 cubes dark basic sauce i.e. AllTastesGerman Recipe
- or ¼ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Peel and chop onion finely.
- Cut bacon into small cubes.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut into slices.
- In a medium sized pan fry onion and bacon cubes until golden brown.
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes or until almost tender.
- Melt in butter and sauce cubes.
- Sprinkle with flour and mix well.
- Add heavy whipping cream and bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce to low heat and add sour cream.
Join the Conversation