Candied apples are called “Liebesapfel” in German. Literally translated this means “love apple”. Traditionally you buy your loved one a candied apple and eat it together… And you can believe, this is how a lot of love stories started.
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 6 skewers or popsicle sticks
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- Make sure you wash the apples very well to make sure there is no wax is left.
- Remove stems and pat the apples dry.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spray well with spray oil.
- Place skewers into apples, where the stem used to be.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, food coloring and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and cook to about 290 - 310 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from heat, quickly dip apples twice and place on cooking sheet.
- Let cool for about 30 minutes, then wrap them in cellophane bags or plastic wrap.
Candied apples make a wonderful gift if you wrap them in cellophane paper and add a personal gift tag.