This cake glaze is usually used to cover the popular German fruit flans and prevent the fruit from spoiling or drying out. Additionally, it gives the cake a beautiful look.
German fruit flans “Obsttorte” is a popular choice for a last minute cake for the famous German 4 o´clock coffee hour. You could serve the cake without a glaze if you will eat it the same day, but the extra step of addings this simple to make glaze is worth the little work involved.
The glaze adds a beautiful shiny layer on top of the fruit and protects it from getting dried out or discolored.
How is cake glaze called in German?
Cake glaze is called "Tortenguss" and can be found in all German supermarkets in small packages. It is usually hard to find overseas or if you can find it, it is pretty pricey. With this recipe you can make your own glaze in very little time.
How to pronounce "Tortenguss"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Tortengruss" in German.
How to Make German Cake Glaze from Scratch Recipe
Homemade Glaze for German Fruit Flan
- 1 tbsp. potato starch Don't substitute corn starch; the glaze would be milky and not transparent.
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water or fruit juice
- 1 tsp. lemon juice optional
- Add potato starch and sugar to a small bowl.
- Add a few tablespoons from the water or fruit juice and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the remaining water or fruit juice to a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly pour the potato starch mixture to the sauce pan while stirring.
- Remain stirring and allow the mixture to simmer for about 30 second.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 1-2 min. while still stirring.
- Use a spoon to pour the glaze evenly over the fruit.
- Allow to set for at least 30 min. before serving.
Can You Use Corn Starch or Rice Starch Instead of Potato Starch?
You could use corn starch or rice starch, but the glaze will not be clear but instead very cloudy. Tapioca starch is an alternative for potato starch and will result in a clear glaze.
Recipe for German Fruit Flan - Obsttorte
Try our recipe for German fruit flan. It is quick, easy and so good!
Tips for the Perfect Fruit Glaze Variation
Try different fruit juices to enhance the flavor and color or your glaze. Use white grape or apple juice for yellow colored fruit toppings. Red juices will enhance the color of strawberry and raspberry cakes.
For an even more intense flavor you can mix 1 or 2 tbsp. of syrup with the water or juice.