Bundt cakes are called Gugelhupf in German and perhaps you heard this before and were not aware that this is a German word.
Germans have many delicious Gugelhupf recipes. The quark in this specific recipes gives the cake a light and moist texture.
How is a Bundt Cake called in German?
Gugelhupf is a German word for bundt cake and "Napfkuchen" is another word used for bundt cake.
How to pronounce "Napfkuchen" and "Gugelhupf" in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Napfkuchen" in German.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to pronounce "Gugelhupf" in German.
Authentic German Quark Gugelhupf Recipe
Quark Bundt Cake - German Gugelhupf
- 2 ⅛ cup flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 5 eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. butter soft
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract or 1-2 tsp. lemon peel
- 1 cup quark room temperature
- Butter and flour to prep the baking pan
- powdered sugar to sprinkle the cake optional
- 1 ⅔ cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. milk or lemon juice
- Grease and flour a Gugelhupf or bundt cake pan.
- Add flour, baking powder and corn starch to a bowl and mix well.
- Separate the eggs into egg whites and egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and beat until very soft peaks form.
- Whisk the butter with the sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon extract until light and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time while mixing well.
- Add the quark to the butter egg mixture and blend well on medium low.
- Sieve the flour mixture on top und mix briefly until just combined.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake at 320F for about 45 - 50 Min.
- Allow to cool completely in the baking pan!
- Serve by itself of sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Alternatively: Mix ingredients for the glaze and pour over cake.
Use orange extract instead of lemon in this recipe to achieve a different flavor profile of the bundt cake.
More German Cake Recipes
Check out this post with 15 delicious German cakes that you need to try!