These healthy bread rolls are soft with a nice crunch of the seeds and nuts. The addition of seeds gives these rolls a beautiful flavor and pack a huge nutritional punch.
In Germany you can find “Kornstangen” at every bakery. They are quite popular as a healthy choice for sandwiches with sweet and savory toppings. They also make a great companion to soups and salads.
How are these healthy bread rolls called in German?
The yummy rolls are called "Kornstangen".
How to pronounce "Kornstangen"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Kornstangen" in German.
How to make German Bread Rolls with Seeds & Nuts Video Tutorial
Authentic Healthy Bread with Seeds & Nuts Recipe
German Bread Rolls with Seeds & Nuts
Prepare: (auch andere Körner möglich)
- 1 ½ tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp. flax seeds
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 2 ½ tsp. poppy seeds
- ⅓ cup water hot
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup rye flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. barley malt
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. caraway seeds crushed
- ¼ tsp. fennel seeds crushed
- 3 tbsp. walnuts
- ⅓ cup quark
- 3 tsp. yeast
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 2-3 tbsp. seeds of your choice
- Add all seeds into a stand mixer bowl, add the hot water, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and set aside for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Add the all-purpose flour, rye flour, barley malt, crushed caraway and fennel seeds, walnuts, yeast, apple cider vinegar, and quark to the seeds.
- Mix briefly to combine. Add water and knead on low speed for 3 min. and then 5 min. on medium speed.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to raise for about 20-30 min.
- Place the dough onto a flour sprinkled workspace and divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough to a ball and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Cover again and allow to prove for about 10-15 min.
- Flatten a dough ball and roll it out to an oblong of about 12 inches.
- Roll the dough up from the small side and place point side up on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Repeat for all dough balls.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp. of seeds of your choice to a shallow bowl.
- Spray the bread rolls with water, dip them into the seeds and place them back on the baking sheet.
- Cover and let raise for about 30 min.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 425F and place an oven safe dish with water into the oven.
- Slash each bread roll with a sharp knife 3 time diagonally.
- Spray again with water and bake in the preheated oven for about 25 min.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet.
What to serve with German Bread?
These bread rolls are yummy by it self or with some butter. You can use them for delicious, healthy sandwich creations and they make a wonderful side for soups and salads.
Try different mixtures of seeds and nuts or use just one of your favorite kinds. There are thousands of variations you can play within this recipe. Create the flavor profile that fits you liking the best.