Candied orange and lemon peel are a key ingredient in German baking. It is an important ingredient in traditional stollen recipes.
Store bought candied peel is not fragrant as homemade candied peel therefore you should always opt for the homemade version.
How is candied orange and lemon peel called in German?
Candied orange peel is called "Orangeat" and candied lemon peel is called "Zitronat" in German.
How to pronounce "Orangeat" and "Zitronat"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Orangeat" and "Zitronat" in German.
How to Make Homemade Orange Peel and Lemon Peel Recipe
Homemade Candied Orange & Lemon Peel
German Christmas baking recipes often call for candied orange and/or lemon peel. With this recipe you can make your own candied peel that is the perfect ingredient for authentic German recipes.
- 1 large organic orange or
- 2 large organic lemons
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup orange juice or lemon juice
- ⅛ cup honey
- Wash the oranges/lemons, cut them into halves and juice them.
- Cut each half into two or three slices and remove the fruit flesh and white parts from the peel.
- Cube the remaining peel into very small cubes.
- Add the peel cubes into a small sauce pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, let simmer for about 5 min. and then drain water from peel cubes.
- Repeat this process one more time.
- Bring the juice and the sugar to a boil and simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Then add the peel and let simmer for about 20 min. or until the peel cubes are translucent. The liquid should be gone completely.
- Place the peel cubes into a small sterilized jar,
add the honey and mix well.
You can make that recipe also with lime and grapefruit peel
Yield: 1PortionCalories: 51kcalCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 11g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
How to Store Candied Citrus Peels?
Candied orange and lemon peel can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for at least six months.
Join the Conversation