This kaese spaetzle recipe incorporates golden fried onions and ham with makes this dish a hearty choice for cold winter days.
If you would like to make spaetzle from scratch you can find the recipe here: Authentic Swabian Spaetzle. It is way easier than you think!
How is this dish called in German?
The Swabian spaetzle dish is called “Käsespätzle mit Schinken”.
How to pronounce “Käsespätzle”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Käsespätzle” in German.
Authentic German Cheese Spätzle with Ham Recipe
- 1 pound spaetzle
- 8 oz. shredded Bergkäse, alternative Cheese of your liking
- 8 oz. ham
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & pepper
- Prepare the Swabian spaetzle according recipe or package instructions.
- Peel the onions, slice finely and fry golden brown in butter.
- In the meantime, cube the ham.
- Layer spaetzle, ham cubes, fried onions and cheese in a greased casserole pan.
- Season each layer of spätzle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 400 F pre-heated oven for about 20-25 min. or until the top is golden brown.
Serve with a side salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 734mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 29g
How to Serve Cheese Spaetzle with Ham Casserole?
Serve with a side salad or with a creamy German dill cucumber salad.
This recipe makes perfect use of left over ham.