Cheese Spaetzle - Authentic German Recipe
If you want the German version of comfort foot, then don’t neglect trying this classic. Käsespätzle (cheese spaetzle) is among others one of the favorite meals for Swabians and is a popular crowdpleaser. To make Käsespätzle so tasty, the choice of cheese is essential. For the perfect flavor use only flavorful cheese of high quality. This hearty homemade pasta dish is usually made with Emmentaler or Allgäuer cheese and served with a topping of sautéed golden browned onions.
Meat lovers can add small bacon or ham cubes to this usually vegetarian dish.
How is this Dish called in German?
The cheesy pasta dish is called "Käsespätzle" or "Kasspatzen" depending on the region and German dialect.
How to pronounce "Käsespätzle"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Käsespätzle" in German.
How to make German Kasespaetzle Video Tutorial
Authentic Swabian Cheese Spaetzle Recipe
Creamy Swabian Cheese Spaetzle
- 1 recipe Swabian spaetzle
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Prepare the Swabian spaetzle recipe.
- Peel the onion and slice finely.
- Fry the onion crispy in butter.
- Add milk and heavy whipping cream to a pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add cheese and melt on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add spaetzle.
- In the meantime, peel the onions and slice finely.
- Then fry in butter until crispy.
- Serve spaetzle with a topping of crispy onions.
Serve with a mixed fresh salad and a German vinaigrette dressing.
Money Saving Tip: Try variations of the classic cheese spaetzle recipe by making use of leftover cheese.