In this video I will show you how to cook Cheese spaetzle or as the Germans say Käsespätzle. This dish is a specialty in the Southern part of Germany called Swabia. Cheese spaetzle are a real German comfort food and kind of the German version of Mac and cheese, but with a very flavorful addition as it is traditionally topped with butter fried crispy onions.
Creamy Swabian Cheese Spaetzle
- 1 recipe Swabian spaetzle
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Prepare the Swabian spaetzle recipe.
- Peel the onion and slice finely.
- Fry the onion crispy in butter.
- Add milk and heavy whipping cream to a pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add cheese and melt on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and add spaetzle.
- In the meantime, peel the onions and slice finely.
- Then fry in butter until crispy.
- Serve spaetzle with a topping of crispy onions.
Serve with a side salad. This makes a great vegetarian dish.
Serve with a side salad. You will find a good variety of recipes in our German salad category.