Carrots and peas topped with buttery bread crumbs are a popular German vegetable side dish.
This recipe is very simple but delicious. This side dish is a great companion to many German meals and even picky eaters love it.
How is peas and carrots called in German?
Carrots are called either “Karotten” or “Möhren” and peas are called “Erbsen”.
How to pronounce “Karotten” and “Möhren”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Karotten” and “Möhren” in German.
How to pronounce “Erbsen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Erbsen” in German.
How to make Buttered Carrots & Peas Video Tutorial
Authentic German Carrots & Peas Side Dish Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 8 large carrots
- 2 cup peas, frozen
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. butter
- Peel and slice the carrots.
- Add the water, carrots, salt and butter to a small saucepan.
- Put the lid on and simmer on medium heat for a few minutes.
- After about 5 minutes remove the lid and let the water cook off to the point where there is just a little bit liquid left.
- Add the frozen peas, stir and let sit on low heat for a couple of minutes.
- For some extra deliciousness, sprinkle some buttered breadcrumbs on top, to give this dish a festive look.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
If you prepare the carrots in the morning and refrigerate them covered, this side dish is ready to serve hot and fresh in less than 10 min. For some extra deliciousness, sprinkle some buttered breadcrumbs on top, to give this dish a festive look.