This German potato salad recipe origins from the Rhineland region. The Rhenish potato salad is one of the most popular recipes from the Rhineland. It is a classic that both young and old love.
In comparison to the Swabian vinegar-oil variation, the Rhenish potato salad has mayonnaise as a base for the dressing. The classic Rhenish potato salad is made with mayonnaise and sausage, eggs and gherkins.
How is Potato Salad called in German?
The German word for potato salad is "Kartoffelsalat".
How to pronounce "Kartoffelsalat"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Kartoffelsalat" in German.
How to make Rhenish Potato Salad Video Tutorial
Authentic German Potato Salad - Rhineland Style Recipe
German Potato Salad Rhineland Style
- 5- pounds yellow potatoes
- 10 eggs
- 1 large jar cornichons
- 1 large nion
- 6 green onions
- 1 small jar light mayonnaise 22 fl. oz.
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound Fleischwurst alternatively bologna sausage or lyon sausage
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until soft but still firm to the bite and let cool completely.
- Cook the eggs hard for about 8-10 min. and let also cool completely
- Peel and dice the potatoes and eggs into bite sized pieces and place into a large bowl.
- Drain the pickles and make sure to keep some of the pickle juice. Cut pickles into small pieces.
- Cube the onion and slice the green onions finely.
- To a medium sized bowl add mayonnaise, salt, pepper, sugar, pickle juice, heavy whipping cream and the mustard. Mix until well combined.
- Add the dressing mixture, onions, green onions, and pickles to the large bowl with the potatoes and eggs.
- Slice the sausage into slices and then into cubes and add them to the bowl.
- Mix well and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side.
What to Serve with Rhenish Potato Salad?
Rhenish potato salad is a great side for meat and fish dishes. It is also a hit at every barbecue, buffet and potluck.
Try this recipe with all kinds of deli meats. Have some leftovers? This potato salad is a great choice to get them eaten.
Hi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the superb work!
Angela Schofield says