Semolina Pudding is a German dessert that can be made very simple with just 3 ingredients, semolina, sugar and milk.
But this recipes has a more indulgent touch and a little special something that brings the simple semolina pudding to another level. The velvet, creamy texture of this dessert gives it a festive touch.
How is semolina pudding called in German?
Semolina pudding is called either "Griessbrei" or "Griesspudding" in German speaking countries.
How to pronounce "Griessbrei" and "Griesspudding" in German?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Griessbrei" and "Griesspudding" in German.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say Griessbrei and Griesspudding in German.
How to make German Semolina Pudding Video Tutorial
Authentic German Semolina Pudding Recipe
- 3 ⅓ cups milk
- ½ cup soft wheat semolina
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Add milk and sugar to a sauce pan, mix well and bring to a light simmer.
- Gradually add the semolina while stirring.
- Bring to a light simmer, cover with a lid, and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for about 5 min.
- In the meantime, separate the egg.
- Beat the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg yolk to the semolina pudding and mix well until fully incorporated.
- Stir in butter and vanilla extract.
- Fold in egg white.
How to Serve Semolina Pudding?
Semolina pudding is delicious warm but can also enjoyed chilled. You can eat the pudding as is, with a cinnamon-sugar mixture or my favorite topping is apple sauce or fruit compote.
Join the Conversation