One of the most beloved Christmas treats in Germany are Terrassenplätzchen, which are tender butter cookies stacked on delicious layers of jam.
These delicious butter cookies are stacked on layers of flavorful jam for a delectable treat that is sure to please any crowd. Whether you're looking for a sweet snack to share with family and friends or a festive treat to bring to a holiday gathering, Terrassenplätzchen are the perfect indulgence!
Terrassen cookies were always one of my favorite Christmas cookies. Not too sweet, fruity and incredible moist and tender. They store incredibly well and will stay fresh for a long time.
If you love Christmas treats, check out my list of the most popular German Christmas desserts. I am sure you will find some new favorites.
Ingredients & Substitutes
Butter: For best results, I recommend using butter. You can use margarine instead of butter if you prefer, but butter gives these cookies their amazing tenderness and soft, buttery flavor.
Flour: I use all-purpose flour to bake the cookies.
Sugar: You will need normal granulated sugar for the cookie dough and powdered sugar for dusting the cookies.
Vanilla Sugar: If you don´t have vanilla sugar on hand you can use vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste.
Baking Powder: This recipe only calls for baking powder, there is no baking soda necessary.
Egg: The dough requires one whole egg.
Jam: Use your favorite jam for the cookies. I recommend seedless, smooth jam. Instead of jam you can use nut butter or hazelnut spread like Nutella.
See recipe card for quantities.
How to pronounce "Terrassenplätzchen"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Terrassenplätzchen" in German.
You only need a few kitchen tools for this recipe.
- measuring cups and spoons
- large bowl
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters (3 sizes: small, medium, large)
- baking pan
- parchment paper or silicon mat
Try experimenting with different jam flavors and color combinations to give your cookies a special touch! Not only can they bring an unexpected twist to your usual cookie recipes, but they can also be a great way to create unique flavor combinations.
To keep your cookies fresh and delicious, they must be stored in an airtight container. This will help to keep them from going stale and provide you with a delicious and enjoyable treat each time.
- 11 tbsp. butter
- 2 ⅛ cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 small jar of your favorite jam
- powdered sugar to taste
- Cut butter in ½-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl blend flour with baking powder.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar, butter, and the egg.
- Knead to a smooth dough.
- Shape dough into a square, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to ¼-inch in thickness.
- Cut cookies in sets of three – small, medium and large.
- Place them on the baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10 min or until edges are light golden.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place a small amount of jam on the largest cookie, top with a medium cookie, add a small amount of jam on the medium cookie and top with a small cookie.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Join the Conversation