Homemade Vanilla Sugar
Vanilla sugar is a crucial ingredient in German baking recipes. It is easy to make yourself and it brings an amazing flavor to your baking goods that is different to the usual vanilla extract.
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 Mason jar or airtight container
- Add sugar to a small bowl.
- Split vanilla bean down its length and scrape out seeds with a paring knife.
- Add the seeds to the sugar and blend well.
- Cut vanilla bean into 2-inch-long pieces and add to a Mason jar.
- Add sugar to Mason jar, close lid and shake well.
- Allow to sit for a couple of days before usage.