Authentic Bavarian Potato Salad with Bacon
Learn how to make an all-time favorite Bavarian style potato salad with bacon. This potato salad makes not only a great side to any German meal but is great addition for your next BBQ too.
How is Potato Salad called in German?
Potato salad is called “Kartoffelsalat”.
How to pronounce “Kartoffelsalat”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Kartoffelsalat” in German.
How to make Bavarian Potato Salad with Bacon Video Tutorial
Authentic Bavarian Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 1 medium large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. green onions or chives, finely chopped
- 16 oz. pickles, finely chopped
- 1 medium large apple, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 oz. bacon, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. coarse pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Simmer potatoes over medium-high heat until firmly done. Let potatoes cool down.
- Cut onion finely and add to a large bowl.
- Peel and cut cooled down potatoes into slices and add on top of the onions.
- Finely chop apple, mix with lemon juice and add to bowl.
- Finely chop pickles and add to the bowl.
- Chop bacon finely and fry for a few minutes.
- Add broth, boil up and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and mustard and mix well.
- Add oil to the mixture and stir again.
- Pour warm bacon vinaigrette over potato salad.
- Toss lightly and serve lukewarm or allow to rest for about 30 minutes to develop the flavor fully.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g