This chicken salad is a very popular in Germany. People love it as a light snack as well as a addition for every festive buffet.
German chicken salad is usually made with mandarins, pineapple and mushrooms.The salad got very popular in the 70ties when curry was not very known. But the addition of the exotic spice gave the salad the little special something and made it to a posh starter in elegant hotels and on new years eve celebration buffets.
How is Chicken Salad called in German?
Chicken salad is called "Geflügelsalat".
How to pronounce "Geflügelsalat"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Geflügelsalat" in German.
Authentic German Chicken Salad Recipe
Chicken Salad - Geflügelsalat
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 16 oz. orange mandarins
- 16 oz. pineapple chunks
- 14 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp. juice from mandarins
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. mild yellow curry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chicken breast, let cool completely and cube into bite sized pieces.
- Drain pineapples, mandarins, and mushrooms. Save about 4 tbsp. of mandarin juice.
- To a large bowl add sour cream, mayonnaise, mandarin juice, heavy cream, curry, and mix well.
- Add chicken cubes, mandarins, pineapple chunks, mushrooms, and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on some salad leaves and toast as a side.
Serve with toast or slices of homemade bread. Add some chopped walnuts to the salad to give it a little crunch.
Join the Conversation