Contemporary Bavarian cheese dip starter.
This Oktoberfest inspired dip is is creamy, cheesy, loaded with bratwurst and spiced up with German beer.
No matter if you serve it as a starter for your dinner or bring it to a potluck you never can go wrong with this crowd-pleaser.
How to make Beer-Brats-Cheese Dip Video Tutorial
Oktoberfest Brats & Beer Cheese Dip Recipe
German Beer Cheese Dip
- 4 oz. bacon finely diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ⅔ cup beer or apple cider
- 0.5 cup milk
- 0.5 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. full fat cream cheese
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 brats i.e. “beer brats” or “better than cheddar brats”
- ½ tsp. Hungarian paprika powder optional
- ½ tsp. pepper optional
- 2 tbsp. green onions finely sliced
- Dice bacon and onion finely.
- Melt butter in a cast iron skillet and fry bacon and onion over medium heat until translucent.
- Add mustard and honey and stir well.
- Let simmer over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beer or apple cider. Stir well and let simmer until almost all liquid is evaporated.
- In the meantime, you can cut the cream cheese into 1-inch cubes.
- Stir in the milk and heavy whipping cream.
- Add cream cheese and stir occasionally until the cream cheese is completely melted. This takes about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the brats and green onions into fine slices.
- Add ¾ of the shredded cheddar and the spices (optional) to the skillet.
- Stir well until cheese melts.
- Add the brats and mix them well into the cheese mixture.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining shredded sharp cheddar and green onions on top and serve hot in the skillet.
- Serve warm with pretzel bites.
Serve with homemade pretzel bites or pretzels.
Served in a bread bowl this dip can make a great center piece on your table. Plus it will save the clean up because your guests will eat until no crumb is left.