This meatloaf is moist, holds together very well and is easy to cut without crumbling. The recipe incorporates finely chopped pickles which gives this dish an amazing savory touch.
How is Meatloaf called in German?
Meat loaf is called "Hackbraten".
How to pronounce "Hackbraten"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Hackbraten" in German.
How to make German Meat Loaf Video Tutorial
What is German Meatloaf Made Of?
Traditionally German meatloaf is made 50% of ground pork and 50% of ground beef. Nowadays many people make it with 100% ground beef like in this recipe.
The German version of meatloaf also contains bread or rolls. The bread or rolls are soaked in milk or water. This makes the meatloaf juicier.
Authentic German Meatloaf Recipe
- 4 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 3 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large onion
- 8 slices bread and butter pickles
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. coarse Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Cut bread into cubes and soak in a cup of warm milk.
- Finely cube the onions and the pickles. Finely chop the cleaned parsley.
- Add the ground meat to a large bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, onion, pickles, garlic paste, salt, pepper, paprika powder, eggs, parsley, and mustard to the bowl.
- Squeeze the milk out off the bread and add the bread to the bowl.
- Mix everything well and add the meat to a greased casserole dish.
- Shape the meat to a loaf and bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for about 45 - 60 min.
- Melt butter and brush the meatloaf every 15 min.
What to serve with German Meatloaf?
Serve with Salzkartoffeln (poiled potatoes), rice or noodles. Many people in Germany also like fried potatoes and french fries as a side.
Carrots, beans or carrots & peas with buttery bread crumbs are some favorite veggie side dishes.