This meatloaf is moist, holds together very well and is easy to cut without crumbling. The recipe incorporates finely chopped pickles which gives this dish an amazing savory touch.
How is Meat Loaf called in German?
Meat loaf is called “Hackbraten”.
How to pronounce “Hackbraten”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Hackbraten” in German.
How to make German Meat Loaf Video Tutorial
Authentic German Meat Loaf Recipe
- 4 pounds ground beef 80/20
- 3 slices white bread
- 8 slices bread and butter pickles
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 tbsp. pickle juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. parsley or one bunch fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Cut bread into cubes and soak in a cup of water.
- Finely cube the onions and the pickles.
- If you use fresh parsley, chop the parsley finely.
- Add the ground meat to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and pickle cubes, spices, eggs, parley, and mustard.
- Squeeze the water out off the bread and add it to the bowl.
- Mix everything well and add the meat to a casserole dish.
- Form to a loaf and bake at 350 F in a preheated oven for 45 min.
- Melt butter and brush the meatloaf every 15 min.
Serve with baked potatoes, Spätzle or Salzkartoffeln and a veggie side dish. You will find the recipes for the meatloaf, Spätzle and Salzkartoffeln.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g