Learn how to make German pork shashlik. This meat dish is a very popular German fast food and you can find it at the old fashioned Imbissbuden which are German snack stands where people get a quick bite like “Schaschlik” in their lunch hours or while shopping. Let me show you, how you can make this favorite German snack with its finger licking gravy.
How to make German Street Food Pork Shashlik Video Tutorial
Authentic German Pork Shashlik - Schaschlik Recipe
German Pork Shashlik
- 2 pounds pork meat
- 1 pound pork belly
- 3 red peppers
- 3 medium onions
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 26 oz. tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ½ tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tbsp. paprika powder
- 8 tbsp. honey
- 8-10 Bamboo skewers
- Cut the bell peppers into inch sized cubes
- Cut each onion into 8 pieces.
- Cut the pork belly and the pork meat into inch sized cubes.
- Assemble the skewers. Start with a pork piece, followed by a pork belly piece, bell pepper and onion. Repeat until the skewer is full. Finish the skewer with a pork meat piece. Make sure to press everything close together and leave about ½ -inch room at the top and bottom of the skewer to make handling easier.
- Add oil to a large pan and sear the meat skewers on all sides. They don´t need to be cooked, you just want to brown them.
- In the meantime, cut all leftover meat and vegetable pieces finely.
- Add to a large pot and fry for 3 to 5 min.
- Add the garlic paste, curry powder and cumin and fry for another minute.
- Deglaze with chicken broth.
- Add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, paprika powder and honey.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the skewers to the pot and simmer them covered for about 90 min. Rotate every 30 min., if you need to stag them in the pot.
- Serve with rice, a slice of bread or French fries.