Bayerischer Kartoffelsalat mit Speck
Bavarian Potato Salad with Bacon
Learn how to make an all-time favorite Bavarian style potato salad with bacon. This potato salad makes not only a great side to any German meal but is great addition for your next BBQ too.
Servings: 4 - 6 Portions
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 1 medium large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. green onions or chives finely chopped
- 16 oz. pickles finely chopped
- 1 medium large apple finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 6 oz. bacon finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1 tsp. coarse pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 4-6 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Simmer potatoes over medium-high heat until firmly done. Let potatoes cool down.
- Cut onion finely and add to a large bowl.
- Peel and cut cooled down potatoes into slices and add on top of the onions.
- Finely chop apple, mix with lemon juice and add to bowl.
- Finely chop pickles and add to the bowl.
- Chop bacon finely and fry for a few minutes.
- Add broth, boil up and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and mustard and mix well.
- Add oil to the mixture and stir again.
- Pour warm bacon vinaigrette over potato salad.
- Toss lightly and serve lukewarm or allow to rest for about 30 minutes to develop the flavor fully.